I love throwing cocktail parties, but they take time, energy and planning...and I've too many times planned a BIG thing that kept me working when I should be visiting with my guests. Some say I may be phoning it in, or pulling a no brainer, but below is my formula for a wonderful home cocktail party that won't keep you from your guests...it’s a mix of order in and make it yourself...so...do the below, use real GLASSES and PLATES and arrange things "prettily"...
1. Make Pigs in a Blanket - use crescent rolls, they are so easy, and people LOVE them!
2. Order Egg Rolls from your favorite Chinese Takeout - cut in half.
3. Order Crab Rangoon from same - get two orders - these are SUCH a treat.
4. Order 2 of Steak, Chicken and Cheese Quesadillas from your favorite Mexican place...cut them in quarters and serve with quac (I usually order that too).
5. Purchase three big-ish chunks of cheese...a soft, a hard and something BLUE or STINKY. Let people break off hunks. Crackers and some grapes help round it out. Maybe some honey.
6. Make a party punch (example: 1 bottle of good vodka, a case of decent beer, light in color PLUS 6 limes, sliced, AND lemonade to taste and PLENTY of ice - makes one big PARTY shandy).
7. Ask people to bring WINE.
8. Two Bite Brownies or Cookies from Whole Foods (or your local bakery) round out the evening.
This should give you enough time to put on music (vinyl anyone?) and change before the first guest appears!
Till Next Time!
- Jason Jude Hill